sexta-feira, abril 22, 2011

DD-WRT - A Linux-based firmware for wireless routers

Are you satisfied with configuration options of your wireless router?



If the answer is "No", you should know that there are many third-party firmwares that you can install on your device, and give it options that you would find only in high-end routers.
In this post, I'm going to introduce DD-WRT. It's a free third-party linux-based firmware, under the terms of GPL license. It include features like daemon-based services, IPv6 support, Wireless Distribution System (WDS), RADIUS, Quality of Service (QoS), radio output power control, and many others.

I tried DD-WRT in my D-Link DIR-300 wireless router and I got many new functionalities, such as iptables, traffic graphs, better QoS support, blocking websites by URL or keyword, and others. One interesting thing is that now I can use my Wi-Fi router as a Client or as a Repeater (even the other wireless routers of the network doesn't support WDS). I present you some printscreens from its configuration pages:


Wireless Modes



Used CPU and Memory



Traffic Chart of this Month


DD-WRT can be downloaded at: http://www.dd-wrt.com. Note that firmware upgrades have a risk of damaging your device. Please read carefully all about it on the website. There you will find if your wireless router is compatible with DD-WRT or not.

Nenhum comentário: